2013 Fantasy Football DEF Rankings – Week 1
The smell of football is in the air. Here are the LestersLegends 2013 Week 1 fantasy football team defense rankings.
1. Seattle Seahawks @ Carolina Panthers
The Seahawks allowed the fewest points last year, yielding just 15.3 points per game. They finished fourth in the league with 306.2 yards per game allowed. The Seahawks held the Panthers to 12 points and 190 yards in their meeting last year, making life miserable for Cam Newton, holding him to a career-low 141 passing yards.
2. Tampa Bay Buccaneers @ New York Jets
The Bucs did not have a stout defense last year, but they brought in Darrelle Revis to anchor their secondary. The Jets finished 30th in total offense with 299.2 yards per game and 28th in scoring offense with 17.6 point per game.
3. Houston Texans @ San Diego Chargers
The Texans finished seventh in total defense with 323.3 yards allowed per game and ninth in scoring defense with 20.7 points allowed per game. The Chargers ranked 31st in total offense with 297.3 yards per game. The Chargers have a suspect running game and a little arsenal for Philip Rivers in the passing game. Adding Brian Cushing back into the mix after an ACL injury ended his 2012 season should make the Texans even more potent.
4. New England Patriots @ Buffalo Bills
New England ranked 25th in total defense, but made up for it by ranking ninth in scoring defense. The Patriots also ranked ninth in run defense, which is truly all the Bills bring to the table given their current quarterback situation.
5. Pittsburgh Steelers vs. Tennessee Titans
The Steelers led the league in total defense with 275.8 yards allowed per game and sixth in total defense with 19.6 points allowed per game. The Titans ranked 26th in total offense and 23rd in scoring offense. If the Steelers can bottle up Chris Johnson, it should be game over as Jake Locker hasn’t figured it out yet.
6. St. Louis Rams vs. Arizona Cardinals
The Rams finished 14th in both total defense and scoring defense last year. The Cardinals finished last in total offense with 263.1 yards per game and 31st in total offense with 15.6 points per game. Carson Palmer should make them more relevant, but they still have issues with pass protection and their running game.
7. Chicago Bears vs. Cincinnati Bengals
The Bears finished fifth in total defense with 315.6 yards allowed per game and third in scoring defense with 17.3 points allowed per game. They are also a threat to score defensive touchdowns. The Bengals ranked 22nd in total offense and 12th in scoring offense.
8. Kansas City Chiefs @ Jacksonville Jaguars
The Chiefs finished 20th in total defense and 25th in scoring defense last year, but the ranking is more about the Jaguars’ ineptitude. They finished 29th in total offense with 299.3 yards per game and 30th in scoring offense with 15.9 points per game.
9. Arizona Cardinals @ St. Louis Rams
The Cardinals finished 12th in total defense and 17th in scoring defense. The Rams finished 23rd in total offense and 25th in scoring offense. They made improvements, but I’m still concerned about their rushing attack.
10. Cincinnati Bengals @ Chicago Bears
The Bengals finished sixth in total defense with 319.7 yards allowed per game and eighth in scoring defense with 20 points allowed per game. Chicago ranked 28th in total offense and 16th in scoring offense. If Bad Jay Cutler shows up, the Bengals could be even higher. Marc Trestman’s offense figures to be more explosive, which is causing me to temper my expectations for the Bengals in this one.
Also check out:
- 2013 Week 1 Fantasy Football QB Rankings
- 2013 Week 1 Fantasy Football RB Rankings
- 2013 Week 1 Fantasy Football WR Rankings
- 2013 Week 1 Fantasy Football TE Rankings
- 2013 Week 1 Fantasy Football K Rankings
- 2013 Week 1 Fantasy Football Sleepers
- 2013 Week 1 Fantasy Football Sit-Start
- 2013 Week 1 NFL Picks
- 2013 Updated Fantasy Football QB Rankings
- 2013 Updated Fantasy Football RB Rankings
- 2013 Updated Fantasy Football WR Rankings
- 2013 Updated Fantasy Football TE Rankings
- 2013 Early Fantasy Football K Rankings
- 2013 Updated Fantasy Football DEF Rankings