Fantasy Football: Should Josh Gordon Be on Your Radar?
Obviously if you are in a deep dynasty league you should keep an eye on Josh Gordon. He has solid 4.4 speed, which coupled with his 6’4″, 225 pound frame, makes him an intriguing NFL prospect. That combination makes him one to keep an eye on in dynasty leagues. However, should traditional re-draft fantasy football owners target him?
A lot of Gordon’s fantasy value will depend on who selects him in the supplemental draft. The quarterback and wide receiver situation where he lands will go a long way in determining when he’ll get a chance to get on the field and how likely he is to succeed once he does.
In 2010 at Baylor he caught 42 passes for 714 yards and seven touchdowns. However, off-the-field issues led to an indefinite suspension. Gordon transferred to Utah, sitting out all of last year.
Obviously character concerns will come into play, but that hasn’t stopped teams from taking a chance on a player with as much potential as Gordon exudes. Obviously not every team will be in play for him, but it only takes one team to give him a chance.
Character concerns aren’t his only issue. Gordon is an exceptional athlete, but he is raw. He has, in essence, only played one full year of collegiate ball. Route running and the nuances of the wide receiver position will have to be learned on the job. Having been removed from the game for a year could also play a role in his development.
I would tend to shy away from a player like Gordon in re-draft leagues. I’ll certainly keep an eye on him to see where he lands and keep tabs on his progress, but he will have to earn a spot on my team with his play on the field.
Where do you stand on Josh Gordon?
Also check out:
- 2012 Fantasy Football QB Rankings
- 2012 Fantasy Football RB Rankings
- 2012 Early Fantasy Football WR Rankings
- 2012 Fantasy Football TE Rankings
- 2012 Fantasy Football DEF Rankings
- 2012 Fantasy Football K Rankings
- 2012 Top Five Rookie Fantasy Football Quarterbacks
- 2012 Top Five Rookie Fantasy Football Running Backs
- 2012 Top Five Rookie Fantasy Football Wide Receivers
- 2012 Top Five Rookie Fantasy Football Tight Ends
- 2012 NFL Draft First Round Skill Players: A Fantasy Perspective