Rotoprofessor’s Target Trends: Week 6
Written by Eric Stashin the Rotoprofessor
Targets is one of the hot stats this year for fantasy football owners, so let’s take a look at some of the recent trends:
Increase Targets (excluding those with Week 5 bye):
1. Derrick Mason: Baltimore Ravens: +11
2t. Larry Fitzgerald: Arizona Cardinals: +9
2t. DeSean Jackson: Philadelphia Eagles: +9
2t. Brian Westbrook: Philadelphia Eagles: +9
2t. Dustin Keller: New York Jets: +9
2t. Chris Cooley: Washington Redskins: +9
- Michael Sims-Walker didn’t have a bye, but he was suspended for Week 5 and therefore was not included on this list.
- The Eagles pretty much ditched the run, attempting just 14 rushes. That helps explain why both Jackson and Westbrook saw an increase in targets, but don’t expect them to continue at that pace.
- It was nice to see Cooley get back in the mix, after being relegated to mostly blocking duties in week five. You should expect him to continue to see increased looks.
- Seeing Mason at the top of this list should not be a big surprise. He was stifled by the Bengals defense last week, but you knew the Ravens were going to try to get him the ball this time around.
Decrease in Targets:
1. Eddie Royal: Denver Broncos: -11
2. Michael Clayton: Tampa Bay Buccaneers: -9
3t. Antonio Bryant: Tampa Bay Buccaneers: -8
3t. Kellen Winslow: Tampa Bay Buccaneers: -8
5t. Jamaal Charles: Kansas City Chiefs: -6
5t. Todd Heap: Baltimore Ravens: -6
5t. Muhsin Muhammad: Carolina Panthers: -6
- Is it a big surprise to see the three Buccaneers on this list? Having thrown the ball 50 times last week, they had no place to go but down.
- Eddie Royal may not have had the looks in the passing game, but he surely made an impact returning kicks, taking both a kickoff and a punt to the house. He still has tremendous value and is useful in all formats.
Top Receivers Targeted:
1. Larry Fitzgerald: Arizona Cardinals: 15
2t. Andre Johnson: Houston Texans: 14
2t. Dwayne Bowe: Kansas City Chiefs: 14
4t. Hines Ward: Pittsburgh Steelers: 12
4t. DeSean Jackson: Philadelphia Eagles: 12
4t. Derrick Mason: Baltimore Ravens: 11
7t. Wes Welker: New England Patriots: 11
7t. Ray Rice: Baltimore Ravens: 11
7t. Lee Evans: Buffalo Bills: 11
7t. Zach Miller: Oakland Raiders: 11
7t. Brian Westbrook: Philadelphia Eagles: 11
7t. Michael Sims-Walker: Jacksonville Jaguars: 11
13t. Mohammad Massaquoi: Cleveland Browns: 10
13t. Randy Moss: New England Patriots: 10
13t. Dustin Keller: New York Jets: 10
13t. Devin Hester: Chicago Bears: 10
13t. Greg Olsen: Chicago Bears: 10
18t. Tony Gonzalez: Atlanta Falcons: 9
18t. Owen Daniels: Houston Texans: 9
18t. Braylon Edwards: New York Jets: 9
18t. Steve Breaston: Arizona Cardinals: 9
18t. Mario Manningham: New York Giants: 9
18t. Andre Caldwell: Cincinnati Bengals: 9
18t. Mike Thomas: Jacksonville Jaguars: 9
18t. Antonio Gates: San Diego Chargers: 9
18t. Chris Cooley: Washington Redskins: 9
- Only five players who were in the Top 20 in week five were in the Top 20 this week (Wes Welker, Dwayne Bowe, Andre Johnson, Tony Gonzalez & Owen Daniels)
- There were seven tight ends (Gonzalez, Daniels, Zach Miller, Dustin Keller, Greg Olsen, Antonio Gates & Chris Cooley) in the Top 20 this week, compared to five (Gonzalez, Daniels, Vernon Davis, Kellen Winslow & Todd Heap) in week five
- Two running backs came in the Top 20 for week seven (Ray Rice & Brian Westbrook) after none were in the Top 20 last week.
Two Games of 10+ Targets over past three weeks:
- Hines Ward – Pittsburgh Steelers
- Dwayne Bowe – Kansas City Chiefs
- Michael Sims-Walker – Jacksonville Jaguars
- Andre Johnson – Houston Texans
- Mohammad Massaquoi – Cleveland Browns
- Chad Ochocinco – Cincinnati Bengals
- Derrick Mason – Baltimore Ravens
Three Games of 10+ Targets over past three weeks:
- Wes Welker – New England Patriots
Need more help in trying to decide who to start this week, check out our weekly rankings by clicking here.
Picture courtesy of Icon Sports Media, Inc.