Should You Start Matt Forte in Week 13?
Chicago Bears running back Matt Forte was knocked out of last week’s game against the Minnesota Vikings with an ankle injury. He was fortunate to avoid a serious injury, and has already returned to practice. Is he safe to use this week?
Ordinarily I would say plug Forte in without any hesitation, but there is some cause for concern.
Forte is facing the Seattle Seahawks and their 12th ranked run defense. They are giving up just 108.6 yards per game. They have allowed seven rushing touchdowns, but that plays more into Michael Bush’s favor.
Bush has five touchdowns on the year to Forte’s three, including a pair in last week’s win over the Vikings. He is one of the most capable backup running backs in the league. It would make complete sense to let Bush share the load and put a cap on Forte’s touches.
After all, the Bears have the big picture to worry about. They enter Week 13 at 8-3, a game ahead of the Green Bay Packers, and the third best record in the NFC. Bush is not as dynamic as Forte, but he may be better suited for the physical matchup with Seattle.
Forte missed some time earlier in the year. In his first game back he had 13 carries against the Dallas Cowboys. Bush had 10 carries in that game. I would not be stunned if a similar distribution was in play.
Bush has had double-digit touches in six games this year. In those games Bush has five touchdown. He hasn’t scored in the rest of the games so Bush is a shaky flex play.
Forte is a safer play as long as he doesn’t have any setback. He can be used as a RB2, but he is better suited for a flex role this week.
Start him with caution.
Also check out:
- 2012 Week 13 Fantasy QB Rankings
- 2012 Week 13 Fantasy RB Rankings
- 2012 Week 13 Fantasy WR Rankings
- 2012 Week 13 Fantasy TE Rankings
- 2012 Week 13 Fantasy K Rankings
- 2012 Week 13 Fantasy DEF Rankings
- 2012 Week 13 Fantasy Football Start/Sit Options
- 2012 Week 13 Fantasy Football Sleepers
- 2012 Week 13 NFL Picks
- 2012 Week 13 Fantasy Football Get ‘em or Don’t Sweat ‘em
- Should Julian Edelman Be on Your Fantasy Football Team?
- Should You Be Sittin’ Jason Witten?
- Should You Be Backing Beanie Wells?
- Can Knowshon Moreno Deliver a Fantasy Football Championship?